Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Smithsonian celebrates the work of Osamu Tezuka (Part 2)

By: Brian Mah

===================
How long have you been a fan of Japanese Culture?
===================
Fredrick Schodt: I came to Japan in 1965 with my family. I was aware of Japanese animation during 1960's. The 1960's were a time of political battles between the Radicals (Student protesters) and the Police. This would be unthinkable in the US. The universities were closed during this time.

Helen McCarthy: When I was a teenager my history teacher set me a project to compare the culture of bushido with Western chivalry. She liked to take us out of our comfort zones! I was fascinated by what I learned about Japan's feudal and Edo-era culture, but to me, Japan was all about cherry blossom and tea ceremonies and geisha. Until 1981, when I met Steve Kyte, I didn't even think about contemporary Japan except as a maker of inexpensive electronics. I had actually seen some anime - we never got Astro Boy, but British TV showed Marine Boy and a few other things. However they weren't labeled as Japanese so we weren't really aware of them as products of a distinct culture.

Steve had been to Spain just before we met, and had seen Mazinger Z on Spanish TV. European nations, especially Italy, France and Spain, had very strong comic cultures and you could find translated manga there. Anime was on TV in Europe from the 1970s. When he showed me the comics and toys he'd brought back from Spain I was really excited by their visual and narrative power.

No comments:

Post a Comment