Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Current State of Entertainment Industry: Artists (Part 2)

By Brian Mah

Artists are the people who create life to a writer's words. Artists use different tools at their disposal to provide enjoyment to their audiences. An artist can create any kind of emotion with a simple pencil stroke or a powerful design program. Below are some talented artists who have constantly used his or her craft to entertain the public.


(Photo provided by the artist. Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited.)

Cojo is a New York independent artist. He has quickly rose up the ranks of the commercial and illustration industries. He has created commissions for many A-list celebrities, such as Busta Rhymes, Jay-Z, and Ashanti.


(Photo provided by the artist. Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited.)

Mohammad Haque is behind the widely popular web comic, AppleGeeks. He has also illustrated graphic stories. He is currently working on several comic books for Dark Horse Comics.

---------------------------------
How long have you been a professional in your respected industry?
---------------------------------
Cojo: 16 years. The first 4 years I was a colorist for Marvel Comics; the next 11 years I was an Illustrator for Magazines, Advertising, and fashion. I'm currently branching off into Fine Art.

Mohammad Haque: Well, I got my very first job when I was 15 at an internet PR firm. I was doing basic HTML coding. From there, I moved up doing basic web graphics. Then I got into Flash work. From there I got into illustrations and graphic design.

---------------------------------
Who were your influences when you were growing as a professional?
---------------------------------
Cojo: My dad and mom. My dad is a cartoonist, my mom is a graphic designer, so I'm sort of an amalgam of the two. Also comic books, graffiti art, cartoons, and pop art.

Mohammad Haque: I would say the comic book industries. I thought myself about art by collecting comic books.

---------------------------------
Have you seen any changes (positive or negative) since you first started?
---------------------------------
Cojo: Illustration is dying. Print itself is dying, so magazines don't have the art budgets they once did, hiring freelance illustrators is one of the first cuts they can make.

Mohammad Haque: Oh yeah. Every time I look at my old work, I ask myself "What was I thinking? The art sucks!"

---------------------------------
Have you met anyone famous?
---------------------------------
Cojo: Odd question, of course. If you live in NY you see at least two famous people a day just walking around.

Mohammad Haque: Since I go to a lot of conventions, I have met a few famous people on the way. Such as Jim Lee, Frank Cho, the penny arcade guys.

---------------------------------
What kind of changes in technology have you seen over the years affect the way you did your work?
---------------------------------
Cojo: When I started out I was coloring line work with Dr. Martin Dyes, brushes, and markers. Later I colored with Adobe Photoshop. I now color and ink with Adobe Illustrator.

Mohammad Haque: Photoshop has changed a lot and tablets. Tablets are improving a lot, from a basic tablet to a cintiq.

---------------------------------
How has the invention of the Internet influenced the way you do business?
---------------------------------
Cojo: I used to have to hand deliver artwork, or send files on zip disks in the mail. Now you can just email files or upload them to client's servers or my server and have the client download it. I also have clients on the West Coast, Chicago, in Europe, China, Australia etc. whom I have never spoken to over the phone, met, or even know what they look like. All communication I've had with them has been through email. Also people all over the world have access to my websites, can read my blog or see my artwork without having to buy anything.

Mohammad Haque: The Internet allows me to share my work to millions of people for free.

---------------------------------
What kind of challenges has been the greatest impact on your industry?
---------------------------------
Cojo: The Internet bubble bursting. All the .coms that advertised in Magazines folding, and pulling their advertising. Magazines had to thin out. Also the web phasing out print.

Mohammad Haque: The greatest challenge is trying to be original. You're competing with other talented people who might think just like you.

---------------------------------
Have the younger artists inspired you to strive to do better?
---------------------------------
Cojo: Not really, I always strive to be my best.

Mohammad Haque: Actually, it seems to be the opposite. The younger generation seems to be inspired what I do.

---------------------------------
What kind of observations have you made with the current programs (TV, film, net, etc.) airing today?
---------------------------------
Cojo: That people's attention span has shrunk to 3-5 seconds. Watch a commercial and see if the camera stays on one shot for more than 3-5 seconds without cutting to another angle.

Mohammad Haque: Not much, since I don't watch that much TV. I'm glued to my computer.

---------------------------------
What advice would you give to someone who wants to go into your respected industries?
---------------------------------
Cojo: Learn how to draw. Learn how to meet deadlines. Get a consistent style together, a style that is your own. Don't be afraid to show people your work.

Mohammad Haque: Observe what other people are doing. Don't give up.

===============
The final group will be posted next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment